Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Rats! Foiled again...!

Actually no.  My recent efforts have come together quite prettily I have to say!  I've been designing a variety of holiday greeting cards and gift tags for sale in the Love is in the Details store!  There are large tags for gifts and small "food related" tags for gifting baking and stuff.  Which, if you'd like, you could gift right over here since all my time lately, has been spent monkeying around with Adobe Illustrator!  

Here is a small sampling of what's going to be available in the LiitD store as of next week!

Please excuse the photo quality.  Foil is very hard to capture on camera.

Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you liked what you saw!

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Bridal Shower Altered Book

I've been absent lately but I have a good excuse!  I've been playing with paper like CRAZY!!  This little project has been on the back burner for 2 years and I had an entire Rubbermaid (R with a circle around it) bin filled with all the embellishments and papers I planned to use.

Sometime after The Party of the Century, I found an old beat up children's storybook that I decided would work perfectly for an altered book mini-album.  Several of the pages were inspired by challenges posted during an online crop hosted by Paper Issues on Facebook.  For more details on the hows and whys, check out my post at Love is in the Details.  The products I used run the range and the list is too long to itemize here, but if you have any questions, leave me a comment and I'll respond as best I can.

Now pour yourself a cuppa and settle in...

I used my Tim Holtz/Sizzix Alphanumeric dies to spell out the phrase "And they lived HAPPILY ever after" on the vellum paper and glued the page into the book spine.  It's hard to photograph to show how cool it looks in real life!

At least it was for me!  Hope it was fun for you too! 

Thanks for stopping by today!

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Playing with Face Paints!

Funny thing.  
I was doing the one thing, thinking about the other thing when the two things collided!  I was cleaning out drawers and purging bins of old supplies I don't want, need or use, while imagining the ways you could use the new Prima Water Soluble Oil Pastels, when I came across 2 tins of Caran D'ache Face Paints by Aquarelle from when the kids were, well, kids!  And discovering that they TOO are water soluble oil pastels!  (And only just now, while doing some quick research do I realize that these are not marketed as face paints at all, but somewhere along the way, we found out what a splendid job they do at painting faces! And arms.  Legs and chests too.) So while I waited for the Prima ones I'd just ordered, to arrive in the mail, (because, y'know, cleaning out means empty space to refill with new stuff, #amiright?) I pulled out the old face paints to give them a whirl.  Since they were once a great source of fun and entertainment, all that was left in one tin were 6 broken, stubby little crayons.  That was clearly the reason a new tin had been thought necessary even though the kids have since grown up (sob) and coloring themselves all over holds less appeal than it once did.  Although I can't speak for when it's October 31. 

The technique I'd been mulling over was of using the oil pastels to color a stamp, then run a wet brush over it to activate the pigment and stamp that onto watercolor card stock. Here is the result.
You can actually stamp once, then add more water and stamp again.  It gives you a different but equally interesting result.  As well, you can apply your wet brush to the paper and move the pigment around and help the colors blend even more.
And with the application of a little more pastels, and more water you can even get a 3rd, and lighter yet, stamped image.  Also kinda pretty.
Now that I have my 24! pack of Prima oil pastels, I plan to try some other ideas, so check back again!

Thanks for stopping by today!

This post was also posted at Love is in the Details.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Batik stamping...

Playing some more catch up here…

A few weeks back (while still at the cottage in Canada) I got out the mess-making supplies to try a fun technique that would remind you of batik fabric.  

I started by stamping and clear heat embossing some leaf images onto card stock.

Then I decided to try die cutting some leaf designs and applying embossing ink through the openings, stencil-like.  

Then I chose a variety of inks in different color combinations and applied them with a sponge applicator, creasing the paper and adding more stamped, embossed images between each color, building up the layers of color and design.

Not happy to stop at just one, I needed to try some other colors on both white and kraft card stock.

Here are the finished cards that I posted on the Love is in the Details blog.

I quite like this technique and I suspect I'll be doing it again!  Thanks for stopping by today!